Savory Spinach-Gorgonzola Custards
If you don't have custard cups, disposable aluminum cups will work just fine.
Yield: Makes 6 servings
More From Southern Living
Amount per serving
- Calories: 160
- Calories from fat: 48%
- Fat: 8.6g
- Saturated fat: 3.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 11.6g
- Carbohydrate: 9.4g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Cholesterol: 56mg
- Iron: 1.1mg
- Sodium: 422mg
- Calcium: 206mg
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 2 large onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 3 ounces crumbled Gorgonzola cheese*
- 1/2 (8-ounce) package fat-free cream cheese, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup reduced-fat milk (2%)
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Drain spinach well, pressing between layers of paper towels. Set aside.
- Sauté sliced onions in hot oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat 5 minutes.
- Stir in brown sugar; cook, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes or until onions are caramel colored. Reserve 1/4 cup onions. Spoon remaining onions evenly into 6 (6-ounce) custard cups coated with cooking spray; sprinkle evenly with Gorgonzola cheese.
- Beat cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth. Add egg and next 5 ingredients, beating just until blended. Stir in spinach. Spoon evenly over cheese in custard cups.
- Place cups in a 13- x 9-inch pan. Add hot water to pan to a depth of 1 inch.
- Bake at 350° for 30 to 40 minutes or until almost set. Remove cups from pan. Let stand 10 minutes; unmold, and top with reserved onions.
- *1 (4-ounce) package crumbled blue cheese may be substituted.
- Original recipe with half-and-half, more cheese, and oil: Calories 265 (70% from fat); Fat 21g (sat 11g); Chol:159mg.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch