Savory Southern-Style Greens
- 2 smoked ham hocks
- 6 cups water, divided
- 3 cubes ham bouillon
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar brine from a jar of sliced jalapeno peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bunch collard greens, trimmed and sliced into 1/2-inch strips
- Optional: cooked rice
- Combine ham hocks and 6 cups water in a stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 to 30 minutes. Stir in ham bouillon cubes, sugar, brine and pepper.
- Transfer ham hocks and greens to a 5-quart slow cooker; pour cooking liquid over top. Cover and cook on low setting 8 hours or until greens are tender but not mushy, adding more water as necessary to keep crock at least half full of liquid.
- Remove ham hocks, dice meat and return to slow cooker. Serve over rice, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Savory Southern-Style Greens Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Side Dishes/Vegetables
- PUBLICATION: Gooseberry Patch
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables