- Cooking spray
- 2/3 cup diced, peeled red potatoes
- 1/3 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 (3.5-ounce) links hot chicken Italian sausage, casings removed
- 3 cups bagged washed baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 (14.1-ounce) package refrigerated pie dough (such as Pillsbury)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- calories 344
- fat 17.9 g
- satfat 6.3 g
- monofat 6 g
- polyfat 4.1 g
- protein 12.1 g
- carbohydrate 33 g
- fiber 1.9 g
- cholesterol 44 mg
- iron 4 mg
- sodium 691 mg
- calcium 91 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 400°.
Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add potatoes, bell pepper, and onion to pan; sauté 4 minutes or until onion begins to brown, stirring frequently. Add sausage; cook 4 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Stir in spinach; cook 2 minutes or until spinach wilts. Stir in basil, salt, and crushed red pepper. Remove from heat.
Cut dough into 4 equal portions. Roll each portion into a 5-inch circle. Spoon about 1/2 cup potato mixture on half of each circle, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Fold dough over potato mixture until edges almost meet. Bring bottom edge of dough over top edge; crimp edges of dough to form a rim.
Place turnovers on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Combine 2 tablespoons water and egg white in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk; brush evenly over dough. Sprinkle about 2 teaspoons cheese over each turnover. Bake at 400° for 18 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand at least 5 minutes before serving.