I thought these tasted good, but they turned out quite small and the proportions seemed "off". I had 12 oz. of leftover homemade pizza dough and a few ounces of cooked crumbled sausage to use, so I rolled the dough out to the specified dimensions and proceeded from there. A 1/2-lb. of sausage would not have fit on this amount of dough. The amount of cheese seemed excessive as well, as I achieved a good coating with just 2 ounces. They didn't rise much but this may have been due to the type of dough and the fact that it was whole-grain. Cutting 12 rolls didn't seem realistic either so I ended up with 10. I might make these again but I scratch my head sometimes at CL's math.
Savory Sausage Breakfast Rolls
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Jan Gautro
Filled with sausage and cheese, these hit the spot on a chilly fall morning. We like reduced-fat pork sausage, but turkey sausage also works in these breakfast rolls.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 2 rolls)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 312
- Fat: 16.8g
- Saturated fat: 7.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 15.5g
- Carbohydrate: 24.8g
- Fiber: 0.0g
- Cholesterol: 52mg
- Iron: 1.8mg
- Sodium: 738mg
- Calcium: 146mg
- 1 (11-ounce) can refrigerated French bread dough
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces reduced-fat pork sausage, cooked and crumbled (such as Jimmy Dean)
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded Gruyère cheese
- Cooking spray
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Find lengthwise seam in dough. Beginning at seam, gently unroll dough into a rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Roll dough into a 13 x 8-inch rectangle; brush with butter, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Combine sage, salt, and sausage. Sprinkle sausage mixture evenly over dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border; top with cheese. Starting with a long side, roll dough up, jelly-roll fashion; press seam to seal (do not seal ends of roll). Cut 1 (1/2-inch-thick) crosswise slice from each end; discard. Slice roll crosswise into 12 (1/2-inch-thick) pieces; arrange in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 28 minutes or until golden.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads