Savory Sausage and Cheddar Breakfast Casserole
This recipe is perfect for using up stale bread since its firm texture stands up to overnight soaking. A casserole stretches expensive ingredients by using them to flavor low cost ingredients so this meal is a good value when you need to feed a holiday crowd. Recipe serves 6 to 8. Recipe from the Whole Foods Market website: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/2397.
Chill: 2 Hours
Rest: 10 Minutes
- 5 cup(s) (1-inch) cubes sourdough or white bread
- 1/2 pound(s) loose breakfast sausage, cooked (about 1 cup cooked)
- 1 cup(s) spinach leaves
- 8 eggs
- 2 cup(s) milk
- 2 clove(s) garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) dried sage
- 1 cup(s) grated cheddar cheese
- Layer bread, sausage and spinach in an 8-inch baking dish. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, garlic, salt, pepper and sage then pour over contents in baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese, cover and chill for at least 2 hours, or preferably overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Uncover dish and bake until cooked through and golden brown, 50 to 60 minutes. Set aside to let rest for 10 minutes then serve.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note