- 8 ounces firm white bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 8 cups)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 1/2 cups chopped Granny Smith apple
- 1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- 1 cup coarsely chopped bottled chestnuts
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/4 cups canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- Cooking spray
- calories 226
- caloriesfromfat 20 %
- fat 4.6 g
- satfat 1.8 g
- monofat 1.4 g
- polyfat 0.5 g
- protein 6.6 g
- carbohydrate 40 g
- fiber 4.6 g
- cholesterol 60 mg
- iron 2.5 mg
- sodium 532 mg
- calcium 72 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 250º.
Place bread cubes on a large baking sheet. Bake at 250º for 1 hour or until dry, tossing occasionally.
Increase oven temperature to 350º.
Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, mushrooms, and celery to pan, and sauté 5 minutes. Add apple and cranberries; sauté 5 minutes. Add chestnuts; sauté 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in parsley, sage, and thyme.
Combine pumpkin and the next 4 ingredients (pumpkin through eggs) in a large bowl. Add bread and mushroom mixture; stir gently to combine. Spoon mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray; cover with foil. Bake at 350º for 45 minutes; uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes or until the top is crisp.