This is the third time that I have made the Savory Pear Tart and it is outstanding. I haven't made it using purchased pie dough as this one is so simple to make. I'm going to try the recipe using firm peaches later in the year.
Savory Pear Tart
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 277
- Calories from fat: 45%
- Protein: 4.6g
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 7.4g
- Carbohydrate: 35g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Sodium: 305mg
- Cholesterol: 32mg
- Tart shell:
- 1 1/4 cups flour, plus more for rolling
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons shortening, frozen
- 3 ripe pears, cored and sliced*
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 4 ounces feta cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1. Make the tart shell: In a food processor, pulse 1 1/4 cups flour, the salt, sage, butter, and shortening 3 or 4 times until fats are pea-size and coated with flour. Add 3 to 4 tbsp. ice water and pulse a few more times, just until a dough starts to form and pulls away from the inside of the bowl. Form dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill at least 1 hour.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into an 11-in. circle. Line a 9-in. tart pan with the dough, pressing into sides; trim excess along rim. Chill 30 minutes.
- 3. Preheat oven to 350°. Set a piece of foil or parchment (large enough to hang over the tart pan edge) on top of dough and fill with dried beans or pie weights. Bake until dough is dry, about 15 minutes. Remove tart shell from oven, and carefully lift out foil and beans or weights. Return tart shell to oven and bake until center is dry and light golden, about 10 more minutes.
- 4. Make the filling: In a medium bowl, combine pears, lemon juice, and sage. Evenly crumble about three-quarters of the cheese into the warm tart shell. Arrange pear slices in an overlapping spiral, starting with the outer edge and working toward the center. Crumble remaining feta over pears, then drizzle with honey. Bake until cheese is golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- *Bartlett, Bosc, and Comice pears all work well in this recipe. Peel them if you prefer, or if they are underripe.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts