Made this for friends and everyone ate it, but I thought it was too tangy from the buttermilk. My husband said it tasted tart or sour. He's a big cornbread fan and asked not to have this same recipe again. I used 1/4 C sugar and didn't find it too sweet.
Savory or Sweet Cornbread
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 196
- Calories from fat: 35%
- Protein: 5.1g
- Fat: 7.5g
- Saturated fat: 4.1g
- Carbohydrate: 27g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Sodium: 431mg
- Cholesterol: 64mg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons or 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- About 1/4 cup (1/8 lb.) cooled melted butter or margarine
- 1. In a bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, beat eggs to blend with buttermilk and 1/4 cup butter. Pour liquids into flour mixture and stir just until evenly moistened.
- 2. Scrape batter into a buttered 8-inch square pan and spread smooth.
- 3. Bake in a 400° oven until bread springs back when lightly pressed in the center and begins to pull from pan sides, about 25 minutes (20 minutes in a convection oven).
- 4. Cut bread into squares. Lift from pan with a slender spatula. Serve hot or cool.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note