Savory Kolache Sponge
- Yeast starter
- 1/4 cup(s) water warm
- 1/2 cup(s) sugar
- 4 1/2 teaspoon(s) yeast
- 1 cup(s) milk warm
- 1 3/4 cup(s) flour
- After the initial hour
- 1/2 cup(s) butter melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup(s) milk warm
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 1/4 cup(s) flour
- Egg wash
- 2 egg whites (reserved from the yolks used above)
- 2 tablespoon(s) water
- Beat together the "yeast starter" ingredients and let stand for 1 hour.
- Add the "after the initial hour" ingredients beating the mixture well until it becomes homogeneous. Let this stand and rise until it has doubled in volume.
- Gingerly work the dough until the trapped gases are released.
- Pat down small balls of dough into rectangular shapes approx 3" x 5" x 1/4" thick.
- Place the filling in the middle of the rectangle and fold the corners in to cover and seal the kolache. Make sure the filling is completely covered and well sealed, and place the kolache with the seams down on a baking sheet covered with parchment.
- Beat the egg whites and water together to make the egg wash and brush the top of each kolache with this.
- Let the kolaches stand and rise for 15-30 minutes.
- Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes. The kolaches should be golden brown.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Jungling and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note