Savory Herb Sun-Dried Tomato Scones
You can freeze any extra scones. Cool completely; place in a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag, and freeze for up to two months. Let thaw at room temperature.
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 132
- Calories from fat: 32%
- Fat: 4.7g
- Saturated fat: 2.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 4g
- Carbohydrate: 18.8g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 361mg
- Calcium: 104mg
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomato halves, packed without oil (about 1 1/4 ounces)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash of ground red pepper
- 1/4 cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup fat-free buttermilk
- Cover sun-dried tomatoes with boiling water in a bowl; let stand 30 minutes or until soft. Drain well, and finely chop.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Cover baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, cheese, and next 7 ingredients (through pepper) in a bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in chopped tomatoes. Add buttermilk, stirring just until moist (dough will be sticky).
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 4 times with floured hands. Divide dough in half. Pat each dough portion into a 6-inch circle on prepared baking sheet. Cut each circle into six wedges, cutting into but not through dough. Bake at 425° for 12 minutes or until golden.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads