Savory Herb Roasted Turkey
Prep: 20 min.; Bake: 3 hr., 30 min.; Stand: 20 min. Reserve pan drippings to make delicious Apple-Bourbon Gravy.
This recipe goes with Apple-Bourbon Gravy
Yield: Makes 12 servings
- 2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (12- to 14-pound) whole fresh turkey*
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- Apple-Bourbon Gravy
- 1. Stir together first 5 ingredients.
- 2. Remove giblets and neck, and rinse turkey with cold water. Drain cavity well; pat dry. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons seasoning mixture inside cavity of turkey. Loosen and lift skin from turkey with fingers, without totally detaching skin; spread 1 tablespoon seasoning mixture evenly underneath. Carefully replace skin. Brush turkey with melted butter. Rub remaining seasoning mixture on skin. Tie ends of legs together with string; tuck wing tips under. Place turkey on a wire rack in a roasting pan, breast side up. Add 3 1/2 cups water to pan; cover turkey loosely with aluminum foil.
- 3. Bake at 325° for 1 hour. Remove foil, and bake 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest portion of thigh registers 165°, basting occasionally with pan juices and covering loosely with foil after 2 hours to prevent excessive browning, if necessary. Remove turkey from oven, reserving 2 cups pan juices for Apple-Bourbon Gravy. Let stand 20 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter. Serve with Apple-Bourbon Gravy.
- *1 (12- to 14-pound) frozen whole turkey, thawed, may be substituted.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This