Best gravy I've ever made, although I also added more liquids while turkey was cooking. It took a while to thicken. I didn't add salt, and it was delicious!!!!
Savory Herb Gravy
The gravy, through Step 1, can be made a day in advance; just cover and refrigerate. Finish the gravy while the turkey rests before being carved. This recipe goes with Apple Cider-Brined Turkey.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 21
- Calories from fat: 43%
- Fat: 1g
- Saturated fat: 0.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 1.3g
- Carbohydrate: 1.7g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Cholesterol: 4mg
- Iron: 0.2mg
- Sodium: 160mg
- Calcium: 2mg
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- Reserved turkey neck and giblets
- 4 cups water
- 6 black peppercorns
- 4 parsley sprigs
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1 yellow onion, unpeeled and quartered
- 1 carrot, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 celery stalk, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- Reserved turkey drippings
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add turkey neck and giblets; cook 5 minutes, browning on all sides. Add water and next 7 ingredients (through bay leaf); bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until liquid is reduced to about 2 1/2 cups (about 1 hour). Strain through a colander over a bowl, reserving cooking liquid and turkey neck. Discard remaining solids. Chill cooking liquid completely. Skim fat from surface, and discard. Remove meat from neck; finely chop meat. Discard neck bone. Add neck meat to cooking liquid.
- Strain the reserved turkey drippings through a colander over a shallow bowl; discard solids. Place strained drippings in freezer for 20 minutes. Skim fat from surface; discard.
- Place flour in a medium saucepan; add 1/4 cup cooking liquid, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Add remaining cooking liquid, turkey drippings, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes or until slightly thickened.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note