1. Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine whole wheat flour, dry milk, and next 6 ingredients in a large bowl; stir well. Set aside.
2. Combine milk, onion, butter, and honey in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until butter melts. Cool to 120° to 130°. Add milk mixture to whole wheat flour mixture. Beat with a mixer at low speed just until blended; beat at high speed 3 minutes. Gradually stir in 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour to make a soft dough.
3. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic (8 to 10 minutes). Place in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size. (Gently press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.)
4. Punch dough down; turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll dough into a 14 x 7-inch rectangle. Roll up rectangle tightly, starting with a short edge, pressing firmly to eliminate air pockets. Pinch seam and ends to seal. Place roll, seam side down, in a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, 40 minutes or until dough is doubled in size.
5. Preheat oven to 350°.
6. Bake at 350° for 45 to 50 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped. (Cover with aluminum foil the last 15 minutes of baking to prevent excess browning, if necessary.) Remove loaf from pan, and cool on a wire rack.
carbo rating: 20