I made this last night and my family was raving about it! It was so dilish! The only thing I did different was substitute less fat breakfast sausage for the ham.
Savory Ham-and-Swiss Breakfast Pie
Yield: Makes 8 servings
More From Southern Living
Stand: 20 Minutes
- 1 2/3 cups water
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2/3 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits
- 1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 8 large eggs, divided
- 1/2 pound cooked ham, diced
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup milk
- Garnish: chives
- Bring first 6 ingredients to a boil in a medium saucepan; gradually whisk in grits. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer, whisking occasionally, 5 to 7 minutes. Add 1/2 cup cheese, stirring until cheese melts. Remove from heat, and let stand 10 minutes. Lightly beat 2 eggs, and stir into grits mixture; pour into a lightly greased 10-inch deep pie plate.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes; remove from oven. Increase oven temperature to 400°.
- Sauté ham and onions in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Layer ham mixture evenly over grits crust. Whisk together milk and remaining 6 eggs; pour over ham mixture. Sprinkle remaining 3/4 cup cheese evenly over egg mixture.
- Bake at 400° for 35 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes, and cut into wedges. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch