I made this last night and my family was raving about it! It was so dilish! The only thing I did different was substitute less fat breakfast sausage for the ham.
Savory Ham-and-Swiss Breakfast Pie
More From Southern Living
Stand: 20 Minutes
- 1 2/3 cups water
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2/3 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits
- 1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 8 large eggs, divided
- 1/2 pound cooked ham, diced
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup milk
- Garnish: chives
- Bring first 6 ingredients to a boil in a medium saucepan; gradually whisk in grits. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer, whisking occasionally, 5 to 7 minutes. Add 1/2 cup cheese, stirring until cheese melts. Remove from heat, and let stand 10 minutes. Lightly beat 2 eggs, and stir into grits mixture; pour into a lightly greased 10-inch deep pie plate.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes; remove from oven. Increase oven temperature to 400°.
- Sauté ham and onions in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Layer ham mixture evenly over grits crust. Whisk together milk and remaining 6 eggs; pour over ham mixture. Sprinkle remaining 3/4 cup cheese evenly over egg mixture.
- Bake at 400° for 35 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes, and cut into wedges. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note