It would be easy to adjust the ingredients to your preferences...egg whites, boiled potato instead of stuffing, WAY less butter or even olive oil, and any kind of meat - can be leftover chicken from last night's dinner or even healthy lunch meats chopped up, even a slice of canadian bacon per cup. It doesn't have to be a heart stopper. I can't imagine leaving this one as is or even doing it the same twice lol maybe that's just me but anyway, I love the concept.
Savory Egg Muffins
The Stove Top Stuffing Mix we all grew up with is making its way to breakfast. Prepare these the night before so you can pop two into the toaster oven for a quick—but filling—breakfast.
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 292
- Fat: 15.7g
- Saturated fat: 6.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Protein: 14.6g
- Carbohydrate: 22g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Cholesterol: 214mg
- Iron: 2.3mg
- Sodium: 476mg
- Calcium: 80mg
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 (6-ounce) package Stove Top lower-sodium Stuffing Mix for chicken
- 3 ounces bulk pork sausage
- Cooking spray
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 1.3 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (about 1/3 cup)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper (optional)
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. Bring 1 1/2 cups water and butter to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in stuffing mix. Cover, remove from heat, and let stand 5 minutes; fluff with a fork. Let stand, uncovered, 10 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
- 3. While stuffing cools, cook sausage in a small skillet over medium-high heat until browned; stir to crumble. Drain.
- 4. Coat fingers with cooking spray. Press about 1/4 cup stuffing into bottom and up sides of each of 12 muffin cups heavily coated with cooking spray. Pour egg evenly into stuffing cups. Layer cheese, sausage, bell pepper, if desired, and green onions evenly over egg.
- 5. Bake at 400° for 18 to 20 minutes or until centers are set. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Run a thin sharp knife around edges of muffin cups to loosen. Remove from pans. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note