Savory Coeur à la Crème
Photo: Howard L. Puckett; Styling: Cindy Manning Barr
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 38
- Calories from fat: 37%
- Fat: 1.6g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Protein: 3.3g
- Carbohydrate: 1.9g
- Fiber: 0.0g
- Cholesterol: 6mg
- Iron: 0.0mg
- Sodium: 157mg
- Calcium: 60mg
- 1 (32-ounce) carton plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup port or other sweet red wine
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh yellow onion
- 1 (8-ounce) tub nonfat cream cheese, softened
- 1 (8-ounce) tub reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 (1-ounce) package dry ranch-flavored salad dressing mix
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Fresh herbs, such as chives, oregano, basil, and mint leaves (optional)
- Place a colander in a 2-quart glass measure or bowl. Line colander with 4 layers of cheesecloth, letting cheesecloth hang over the edge of colander. Spoon the yogurt into colander. Cover loosely with plastic wrap; refrigerate 12 hours. Spoon drained yogurt into a bowl, and set aside; discard cheesecloth and liquid.
- Moisten another 3 layers of cheesecloth in wine; squeeze excess wine from cheesecloth until barely damp, reserving 2 tablespoons of wine. Line a 4-cup gelatin mold or heart-shaped cake pan with the dampened cheesecloth, letting cheesecloth hang over edge of mold, and set aside.
- Combine reserved 2 tablespoons of wine, grated onion, cream cheeses, and salad dressing mix in a large bowl; beat at low speed of a mixer until smooth. Stir in drained yogurt; set aside.
- Sprinkle gelatin over water in a small saucepan; let stand 1 minute. Cook over low heat, stirring until gelatin dissolves. Remove from heat; let cool slightly. Stir 2 tablespoons yogurt mixture into gelatin mixture with a wire whisk. Add gelatin mixture to remaining yogurt mixture, stirring well.
- Spoon yogurt mixture into prepared mold. Fold cheesecloth over top of yogurt mixture, and chill up to 24 hours (mixture will get a rubbery texture if chilled more than 24 hours).
- To serve, unfold cheesecloth, and invert mold onto a serving plate; discard cheesecloth. Garnish with fresh herbs, if desired. Serve with heart-shaped lahvosh or plain crackers.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Savory Coeur à la Crème Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes Like This