Savory Chicken Pot Pie
To round out your meal, add a bagged salad and a loaf of crusty bread.
More From Southern Living
Stand: 15 Minutes
Bake: 35 Minutes
- 1 small sweet potato
- 12 PILGRIM'S PRIDE Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (10 3/4-oz.) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (16-oz.) package frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 (15-oz.) package refrigerated piecrust
- 1. Pierce sweet potato several times with a fork. Place in microwave oven, and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave at HIGH 3 minutes or until done. Let stand 5 minutes; peel and dice. Set aside.
- 2. Sprinkle chicken evenly with seasoned salt. Sauté chicken and onion in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat 5 to 8 minutes or until done. Remove chicken and onion.
- 3. Melt butter in Dutch oven over medium-high heat; whisk in flour, chicken broth, and soup. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, 3 to 4 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cooked chicken and onion, sweet potato, peas and carrots, lemon juice, and pepper. Cook, stirring often, 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Spoon chicken mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- 4. Roll piecrust into 13- x 9-inch rectangle; fit over chicken mixture in baking dish. Cut several slits in top of crust for steam to escape.
- 5. Bake at 400° for 30 to 35 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is thoroughly heated. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note