I really enjoyed this, and it smelled amazing while it was in the oven. I diced up the Morningstar breakfast 'sausage' patties and used wheat bread, since that is what I had on hand. Those were the only substitutions though. This was really easy and I will definitely make it again.
Savory Breakfast Casserole
The vegetarian sausage adds a lot of sage flavor to the casserole and doesn't need to be precooked. The sausage often comes in a tube and is usually located in the refrigerated area of the produce section, near the tofu. Although we call this dish a breakfast casserole, you can serve it for dinner with sautéed greens or roasted red-skinned potatoes.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 316
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 9.2g
- Saturated fat: 4.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 30g
- Carbohydrate: 26.7g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Cholesterol: 162mg
- Iron: 3.2mg
- Sodium: 864mg
- Calcium: 347mg
- 2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 large egg whites
- 4 large eggs
- 14 ounces meatless fat-free sausage, crumbled (such as Gimme Lean!)
- 4 cups (1/2-inch) cubed white bread (about 4 1/2 ounces)
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine the milk, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, green onions, and next 5 ingredients (green onions through eggs), stirring with a whisk.
- Divide sausage and bread evenly between 2 (8 x 4-inch) loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Pour egg mixture evenly between pans. Top each pan with 1/4 cup cheese.
- Cover each pan with foil. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- To freeze unbaked casserole: Prepare through Step 3. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing to remove as much air as possible. Wrap with heavy-duty foil. Store in freezer for up to 2 months.
- To prepare frozen unbaked casserole: Thaw completely in refrigerator (about 24 hours). Preheat oven to 350º. Remove foil; reserve foil. Remove plastic wrap; discard wrap. Cover casserole with reserved foil; bake at 350º for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 50 minutes or until bubbly.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note