- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion (10 oz.), peeled, cut in half, and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced or pressed
- 1 pound fresh mild or hot Italian sausage (about 4 links), casings removed
- 4 ounces escarole (see notes), rinsed, tough white parts removed, and thinly sliced
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère or Swiss cheese
- 10 cup 1- to 2-inch cubes French or country-style bread (1 lb.; crusts removed)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh-grated nutmeg
- calories 515
- caloriesfromfat 56 %
- protein 22 g
- fat 32 g
- satfat 12 g
- carbohydrate 34 g
- fiber 2.2 g
- sodium 1130 mg
- cholesterol 174 mg
How to Make It
Pour oil into a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and stir often until limp and slightly golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and crumble sausage into pan. Stir often until meat is no longer pink, 7 to 10 minutes, using a wooden spoon to break up the meat if necessary.
Add escarole to sausage mixture in pan and reduce heat to low. Stir until escarole is wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
In a large bowl, whisk the milk and eggs until combined. Stir in Gruyère, bread cubes, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
Add sausage mixture and stir to mix well. Scrape mixture into a buttered 9- by 13-inch baking dish and spread level (see notes).
Bake in a 375° oven until top is golden and a knife inserted in the middle comes out mostly clean, 35 to 45 minutes. (If top is brown after 30 minutes, cover loosely with foil and continue to bake.) Serve hot.