Yummy! I served this to a friend who brought avocado, grapefruit, and watercress salad and it was a delightful pairing. I agree that it could use a bit more flavor; that said, I'm a person who likes a lot of spice. I used a bit more onion than called for and stirred it into the mix prior to making, to infuse the whole dish with more onion flavor. We ate this with a sauvignon blanc.
Savory Bread Pudding with Goat Cheese
Beau Gustafson; Melanie J. Clarke
This dish is best assembled the night before.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 [4-inch] square)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 388
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 12.3g
- Saturated fat: 6.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Protein: 23.4g
- Carbohydrate: 45.4g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Cholesterol: 131mg
- Iron: 3.8mg
- Sodium: 818mg
- Calcium: 470mg
- 1 (1-pound) loaf firm white bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 12 cups)
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled goat cheese, divided
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 cup 1% low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- Arrange bread in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Combine 1/2 cup goat cheese and next 5 ingredients (through egg whites) in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Pour milk mixture over bread; top with remaining 1/2 cup goat cheese. Cover with foil coated with cooking spray. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Remove bread pudding from refrigerator; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Uncover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until set and golden brown. Sprinkle with onions.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Savory Bread Pudding with Goat Cheese Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Breakfast/Brunch, Casseroles
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Make-Ahead
- CUISINE: American
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Rice/Grains
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Meatless
- COOKING METHOD: Bake
- OCCASION: Autumn, Spring, Summer, Winter, Christmas, Easter, Father's Day, Memorial Day, Mother's Day
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch