- 8 ounces multigrain bread with seeds, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions, divided
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 ounces lower-sodium ham, minced
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 large egg whites
- 4 teaspoons reduced-fat sour cream
- calories 272
- fat 11.2 g
- satfat 5 g
- monofat 3.3 g
- polyfat 0.6 g
- protein 18.5 g
- carbohydrate 28.4 g
- fiber 8.6 g
- cholesterol 140 mg
- iron 2 mg
- sodium 536 mg
- calcium 400 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 375°.
Place bread cubes on a jelly-roll pan; coat with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes or until lightly toasted, turning once. Remove from oven; cool.
Combine bread, 1/2 cup cheese, 3 tablespoons onions, and next 5 ingredients (through egg yolks) in a large bowl. Place egg whites in a small bowl, and beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy (about 30 seconds). Gently fold egg whites into bread mixture.
Spoon about 1 cup bread mixture into each of 4 (7-ounce) ramekins coated with cooking spray. Divide the remaining 1/4 cup cheese and remaining 1 tablespoon onions evenly among ramekins. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Top each serving with 1 teaspoon sour cream.
Wine Match by Scott Jones: These puddings need a fruity red to cut the richness and balance the sharp cheddar and salty ham--Colonia Las Liebres Bonarda 2009 (Argentine, $10) is ideal.