Absolutely delicious. I also baked it in an 8x8 casserole for about 30 minutes. Great for breakfast the next day.
Savory Bread Puddings with Ham and Cheddar
Photo: John Autry; Styling: Paige Hicks
More From Cooking Light
Total: 42 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 272
- Fat: 11.2g
- Saturated fat: 5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 18.5g
- Carbohydrate: 28.4g
- Fiber: 8.6g
- Cholesterol: 140mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 536mg
- Calcium: 400mg
- 8 ounces multigrain bread with seeds, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions, divided
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 ounces lower-sodium ham, minced
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 large egg whites
- 4 teaspoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 2. Place bread cubes on a jelly-roll pan; coat with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes or until lightly toasted, turning once. Remove from oven; cool.
- 3. Combine bread, 1/2 cup cheese, 3 tablespoons onions, and next 5 ingredients (through egg yolks) in a large bowl. Place egg whites in a small bowl, and beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy (about 30 seconds). Gently fold egg whites into bread mixture.
- 4. Spoon about 1 cup bread mixture into each of 4 (7-ounce) ramekins coated with cooking spray. Divide the remaining 1/4 cup cheese and remaining 1 tablespoon onions evenly among ramekins. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Top each serving with 1 teaspoon sour cream.
- Wine Match by Scott Jones: These puddings need a fruity red to cut the richness and balance the sharp cheddar and salty ham--Colonia Las Liebres Bonarda 2009 (Argentine, $10) is ideal.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note