I just had this at a friends house for lunch accompanied by scones. It was so delicious I had to comment. She did say it was a whole lot of work and doesn't think she would make it again.....BUT IT WAS DELICIOUS!!! She made this for 12 ladies!! Everyone commented. I think she cooked them in a muffin tin to keep them upright!!
Savory Baked Apples
Photo: John Autry; Styling: Leigh Ann Ross
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 18 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 363
- Fat: 16.1g
- Saturated fat: 6.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 4.2g
- Protein: 12g
- Carbohydrate: 46.3g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Cholesterol: 32mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 656mg
- Calcium: 159mg
- 2/3 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup apple cider
- 4 large Rome apples, cored
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted and divided
- 1 (4-ounce) link sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 3/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/3 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 3 tablespoons minced green onions
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Bring broth to a boil in a saucepan. Stir in rice. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 50 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand 10 minutes.
- 3. Combine cranberries and cider in a microwave-safe bowl; microwave at HIGH 1 minute. Let stand for 10 minutes. Add mixture to rice.
- 4. Using a small spoon, carefully scoop out centers of apples, leaving a 1/2-inch-thick shell, and chop apple flesh. Brush the inside of apples with 1 tablespoon butter. Place apples on a baking sheet, and bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until just tender.
- 5. Preheat broiler to high.
- 6. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage, and sauté 5 minutes, stirring to crumble. Remove from pan; drain. Wipe skillet, and melt remaining butter in pan. Add chopped apple, yellow onion, and next 3 ingredients (through pepper); sauté 4 minutes. Add garlic; sauté for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add sausage, onion mixture, walnuts, and next 3 ingredients (through sage) to rice; toss. Divide rice mixture evenly among apples; top with cheese. Broil for 5 minutes or until golden.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This