- 2/3 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup apple cider
- 4 large Rome apples, cored
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted and divided
- 1 (4-ounce) link sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 3/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/3 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 3 tablespoons minced green onions
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- calories 363
- fat 16.1 g
- satfat 6.7 g
- monofat 4 g
- polyfat 4.2 g
- protein 12 g
- carbohydrate 46.3 g
- fiber 4.6 g
- cholesterol 32 mg
- iron 1.3 mg
- sodium 656 mg
- calcium 159 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350°.
Bring broth to a boil in a saucepan. Stir in rice. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 50 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand 10 minutes.
Combine cranberries and cider in a microwave-safe bowl; microwave at HIGH 1 minute. Let stand for 10 minutes. Add mixture to rice.
Using a small spoon, carefully scoop out centers of apples, leaving a 1/2-inch-thick shell, and chop apple flesh. Brush the inside of apples with 1 tablespoon butter. Place apples on a baking sheet, and bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until just tender.
Preheat broiler to high.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage, and sauté 5 minutes, stirring to crumble. Remove from pan; drain. Wipe skillet, and melt remaining butter in pan. Add chopped apple, yellow onion, and next 3 ingredients (through pepper); sauté 4 minutes. Add garlic; sauté for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add sausage, onion mixture, walnuts, and next 3 ingredients (through sage) to rice; toss. Divide rice mixture evenly among apples; top with cheese. Broil for 5 minutes or until golden.