Fabulousness!!! Easy and a perfect side for Christmas or to make a casual dinner a little special. Also great leftovers the next day, thanks SL kitchens!!!!
Savory Bacon-and-Leek Bread Pudding
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Buffy Hargett Miller
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 20 Minutes
- 8 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 cups cubed challah bread (about 1-inch cubes)
- 1 1/4 cups grated Gouda cheese, divided
- 1 1/4 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cooked bacon slices, crumbled
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Whisk together first 7 ingredients in a large bowl; stir in bread cubes and 1 cup each Gouda and Parmesan cheeses.
- 2. Remove and discard root ends and dark green tops of leeks. Cut in half lengthwise, and rinse thoroughly under cold running water to remove grit and sand.
- 3. Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add leeks, and cook, stirring occasionally, 7 to 8 minutes or until tender. Add garlic, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Fold leek mixture and bacon into egg mixture. Pour into a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup each Gouda and Parmesan cheeses.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes or until center is set. Let stand 5 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables