- 1 pound unpeeled, medium-size fresh shrimp
- 1/4 pound hot Italian sausage
- 1/3 cup chopped country ham (about 2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup instant brown rice
How to Make It
Peel shrimp; devein, if desired. Set aside.
Remove and discard casings from sausage. Cook sausage in a large skillet, stirring until it crumbles and is no longer pink. Drain. Add country ham, onion, and bell pepper; cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, and broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Cool slightly.
Process tomato mixture in a blender or food processor 15 seconds or until smooth, stopping once to scrape down sides.
Combine rice and tomato mixture. Spoon into an 8- x 8-inch baking dish.
Bake at 350°, covered, for 25 minutes. Add shrimp, and bake, covered, 15 additional minutes or until rice is tender and shrimp turn pink.
Note: In testing we used Uncle Ben's Instant Brown Rice.