- 1 (4- to 5-pound) corned beef brisket, trimmed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons whole peppercorns
- 1 medium cabbage, cut into wedges
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 medium carrots, scraped and cut in julienne strips
- 4 medium onions, peeled and quartered
- Fresh parsley sprigs (optional)
How to Make It
Place brisket in a large Dutch oven; cover with water. Add spices. Bring to a boil and cover; reduce heat, and simmer for 2 1/2 hours or until brisket is tender.
Add cabbage; cover and simmer 10 minutes. Add potatoes, carrots, and onions; cover and simmer an additional 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Remove brisket to a warm platter; slice thinly across the grain. Remove vegetables from liquid, discarding spices; place on platter with sliced brisket. Garnish with parsley, if desired.