- 1 (3- to 3 1/2-pound) broiler-fryer, cut up
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, divided
- 3 quarts water
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 (17-ounce) cans whole kernel corn, undrained
- 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, undrained and finely chopped
- 4 cups sliced okra
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen baby lima beans
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
How to Make It
Brown chicken in 1/4 cup butter in a large Dutch oven. Add water, and simmer 1 hour or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken from broth and set broth aside. Remove meat from bones; cut into 2-inch pieces, and set aside.
Melt remaining butter in Dutch oven; stir in flour. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until roux is the color of a copper penny. Stir in remaining ingredients; simmer for 10 minutes. Add chicken and reserved broth; cook over low heat 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.