I liked this, my husband thought it was ok (he isn't a fan of sprouts anyway). I made as directed, but used maple flavored bacon. I figured the sweetness of the bacon would help soften the bite sprouts sometimes have. An easy, good recipe - sprouts cooked perfectly for me in the recipe's stated time.
Sautéed Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
Photo: John Autry; Styling: Leigh Ann Ross
Brussel sprouts combine with bacon to create one delicious and quick-cooking side dish.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 1 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 81
- Fat: 1.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 6.1g
- Carbohydrate: 13.7g
- Fiber: 4.9g
- Cholesterol: 4mg
- Iron: 1.8mg
- Sodium: 101mg
- Calcium: 58mg
- 3 slices center-cut bacon, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 cups presliced onion
- 1/3 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon; cook 7 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon from pan with a slotted spoon; drain.
- 2. Add thyme and onion to pan; sauté 3 minutes. Add broth and Brussels sprouts; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 6 minutes or until crisp-tender. Sprinkle with bacon.
- Lemon and Pecan variation: Omit bacon; use 1 teaspoon olive oil in place of bacon drippings. Substitute 1 cup prechopped onion for sliced onion. To finish, stir in 1/4 cup chopped pecans, 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind, 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Yield: 4 servings. CALORIES 132; FAT 6.7g (sat 0.7g); SODIUM 36mg
- Sesame, Garlic, and Ginger variation: Omit bacon and thyme; use 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil in place of drippings. Use 1 cup chopped onion; add 2 teaspoons minced ginger and 1 minced garlic clove. To finish, add 1/4 cup sliced green onions and 1 tablespoon lower-sodium soy sauce. Yield: 4 servings. CALORIES 107; FAT 4g (sat 0.5g); SODIUM 181mg
- Garlic and Pecorino variation: Omit bacon; use 1 teaspoon olive oil in place of drippings. Use 1 cup prechopped onion; add 6 sliced garlic cloves. To finish, add 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons shaved pecorino Romano cheese. Yield: 4 servings. CALORIES 115; FAT 4.7g (sat 1.1g); SODIUM 156mg
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This