Sauteed Baby Artichokes with Lemon and Garlic
These artichokes are little, but they're completely mature vegetables. Accented with garlic and lemon, they make a lovely first course or side dish.
Yield: 4 SERVINGS
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 pounds smallest baby artichokes (about 14)
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1. Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add 3 tablespoons of the lemon juice to a large bowl of water. Working with one artichoke at a time, pull off the dark outer leaves and trim 1/2 inch off the top. Halve each of the artichokes, then drop them into the lemon water.
- 2. Drain the artichokes and blanch them in the boiling water until tender when pierced with a knife, about 3 minutes. Drain well.
- 3. Meanwhile, melt 1 teaspoon of the butter in the oil in a large nonreactive skillet. Add the garlic and cook over high heat for 10 seconds. Add the artichokes, season with salt and pepper and cook, turning once, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of butter and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note