Sautéed Sweetbreads With Gravy
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 pound veal sweetbreads
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup chopped celery leaves
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- Place sweetbreads in a medium mixing bowl; cover with water. Set aside to soak for 1 hour. Drain well; remove and discard white membrane.
- Combine sweetbreads, water, celery leaves, onion, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a medium Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Cover; reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove sweetbreads, and cut into serving-size pieces; set aside. Strain broth, and reserve 1 cup. Discard vegetables and remaining broth.
- Combine flour and remaining salt and pepper. Dredge sweetbreads in flour; set aside.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add sweetbreads; cook over low heat 10 minutes or until browned, turning as necessary. Remove sweetbreads; drain. Reserve pan drippings. Transfer sweetbreads to a warm serving platter.
- Pour reserved 1 cup broth into pan drippings. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until thickened and bubbly. Serve gravy with sweetbreads.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes