Sautéed Spinach with Crispy Shallots
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 134
- Calories from fat: 37%
- Protein: 4.3g
- Fat: 5.8g
- Saturated fat: 0.6g
- Carbohydrate: 21g
- Fiber: 7.2g
- Sodium: 403mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 4 pounds baby spinach leaves
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 2 cups thinly sliced shallots separated into rings
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1. Wilt 1 lb. spinach at a time in a large pot of boiling water, stirring often, 1 minute. Transfer to ice water, then to a colander.
- 2. Heat 2 in. vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. In a bowl, toss shallots with flour until lightly coated. To test oil, throw 1 shallot slice in pan; it should sizzle and bubble to the top but not turn golden right away. Fry small batches of shallots, stirring often, until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- 3. Pat excess moisture from spinach. In a large frying pan, sauté spinach, salt, and pepper in 1 tbsp. olive oil over high heat, tossing with tongs, until spinach is hot and some liquid evaporates, 7 minutes.
- 4. Remove spinach from heat, drain off liquid, and stir in remaining 2 tbsp. olive oil. Transfer to a dish. Top with shallots.
- Make ahead: Up to 1 day ahead, prepare spinach through step 1; cover colander, set in a bowl, and chill. Shallots can be fried 6 hours ahead and stored between paper towels.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This