- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2 1/2-inch pieces
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 large clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 19-ounce can black beans, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- calories 665
- caloriesfromfat 41 %
- fat 30 g
- satfat 21 g
- cholesterol 0 mg
- sodium 886 mg
- carbohydrate 48 g
- fiber 11 g
- sugars 8 g
- protein 52 g
How to Make It
Cook the rice according to the package directions, replacing 1 cup of water with the coconut milk.
Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook for 3 minutes. Turn and move to the sides of the skillet. Add the bell pepper and cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until the bell pepper is slightly softened and the chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer the chicken and vegetables to individual plates and return the skillet to medium heat. Add the beans, cumin, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and the remaining oil. Cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Serve with the chicken and rice.
Upgrade: Brighten the flavor of the coconut rice by stirring in a handful of chopped fresh scallions, chives, or cilantro just before serving.