Strange, definitely a bit of a seventies hippie flashback sort of dish, but oddly delicious if you're in the mood for love beads & hemp macrame. Pump up the ginger - makes all the difference.
Sautéed Carrots with Seaweed, Ginger, and Tofu
I first made this dish in 1970 and still cook it with pleasure today. The deep-black color and unique flavor of arame seaweed makes it an attractive accent for carrots and spicy fresh ginger. Adding the tofu and serving it with brown rice makes a complete meal. You can substitute other varieties of shredded seaweed for the arame; each will have its own distinct taste.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 393
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 11.8g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 5.6g
- Protein: 17.3g
- Carbohydrate: 53g
- Fiber: 8.9g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 8.7mg
- Sodium: 877mg
- Calcium: 232mg
- 1 cup dried arame or other shredded seaweed (1 ounce)
- 1 pound firm or extra-firm tofu, drained and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups julienne-cut carrot (1 pound)
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 4 cups hot cooked long-grain brown rice
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- Cover arame with water; let stand 15 minutes. Drain.
- Brush tofu slices with 1 teaspoon oil. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu, and cook until liquid from tofu is evaporated (3 minutes). Remove tofu from pan. Cool and cut into 1/4-inch pieces, and set aside.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add carrot, onions, and ginger; cook 4 minutes or until carrot is golden brown, stirring frequently. Stir in arame and salt; cook 3 minutes or until arame is tender. Stir in tofu and soy sauce. Cook for 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve with rice. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Note: Seaweed is sold at health-food stores and Asian supermarkets.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note