- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli rabe (rapini)
- 3 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons soft whole wheat breadcrumbs, toasted
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- calories 69
- fat 2.2 g
- satfat 0.4 g
- protein 5.5 g
- carbohydrate 8.3 g
- fiber 0.2 g
- cholesterol 1 mg
- iron 1.3 mg
- sodium 295 mg
- calcium 82 mg
How to Make It
Thinly slice leafy greens of broccoli rabe. Peel tough lower stalk, and coarsely chop.
Bring 3 quarts water to a boil in a large Dutch oven. Add broccoli rabe, and cook 1 minute. Drain well; set aside. Combine breadcrumbs and cheese in a small bowl; stir well, and set aside.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, and sauté 30 seconds. Add broccoli rabe, and sauté 4 minutes or until tender. Add salt and next 4 ingredients; toss well. Place in a serving bowl; sprinkle with breadcrumb mixture. Serve immediately.
Toasted Breadcrumbs: To make toasted soft breadcrumbs, place a slice of whole wheat bread in a food processor, and process until fine crumbs form. Spread the breadcrumbs on a baking sheet, and bake at 400° for 2 minutes or until toasted.