Sausage with Escarole and White Beans
Photo: Marcus Nilsson
More From Real Simple
Amount per serving
- Calories: 668
- Calories from fat: 46%
- Fat: 34g
- Saturated fat: 8g
- Cholesterol: 100mg
- Sodium: 1,353mg
- Carbohydrate: 43g
- Fiber: 13g
- Sugars: 3g
- Protein: 32g
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 2 small onions, cut into wedges
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (such as Sauvignon Blanc)
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 19-ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small head escarole, tough stems removed and roughly chopped
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- Crusty bread (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook the sausage, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest at least 5 minutes before slicing.
Add the onions to the pan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the wine and broth and bring to a boil. Add the beans, escarole, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the escarole wilts, about 3 minutes.
Spoon into individual bowls and top with the Parmesan. Serve with the sausage and crusty bread, if desired.
Substitution: If you are unable to find escarole, a slightly peppery relative of endive with sturdy light green leaves, try using Swiss chard or spinach.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note