Sausage with Escarole and White Beans
Photo: Marcus Nilsson
More From Real Simple
Amount per serving
- Calories: 668
- Calories from fat: 46%
- Fat: 34g
- Saturated fat: 8g
- Cholesterol: 100mg
- Sodium: 1,353mg
- Carbohydrate: 43g
- Fiber: 13g
- Sugars: 3g
- Protein: 32g
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 2 small onions, cut into wedges
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (such as Sauvignon Blanc)
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 19-ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small head escarole, tough stems removed and roughly chopped
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- Crusty bread (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook the sausage, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest at least 5 minutes before slicing.
Add the onions to the pan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the wine and broth and bring to a boil. Add the beans, escarole, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the escarole wilts, about 3 minutes.
Spoon into individual bowls and top with the Parmesan. Serve with the sausage and crusty bread, if desired.
Substitution: If you are unable to find escarole, a slightly peppery relative of endive with sturdy light green leaves, try using Swiss chard or spinach.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes