Sausage and Wild Rice Casserole
This meaty casserole topped with toasted nuts makes a hearty contribution to breakfast.
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
- 1 (6-ounce) package long-grain and wild rice mix (we tested with Uncle Ben's)
- 1 pound hot ground pork sausage
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 (8-ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 (2.25-ounce) package sliced natural almonds (1/2 cup)
- Cook rice mix according to package directions.
- Cook sausage and ground beef in a large skillet, stirring until it crumbles and is no longer pink. Drain and pat dry with paper towels. Cook onion and mushrooms in same skillet over medium heat 7 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Combine rice, sausage and beef, onion and mushrooms, water chestnuts, parsley, and soy sauce; stir well. Spoon mixture into an ungreased 13" x 9" baking dish. Cover and chill casserole overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator, and let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Note: You don't have to refrigerate the casserole overnight. Just spoon it into the baking dish and bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes or until heated.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles