- 1 1/2 pounds hot Italian sausage, casings removed*
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15-oz.) cans Italian-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 (16-oz.) bag frozen cut green beans
- 1 (8-oz.) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 (8-oz.) can tomato sauce
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 3 medium zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 (20-oz.) package refrigerated cheese-filled tortellini
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
How to Make It
Sauté sausage, onion, and garlic in a Dutch oven over medium heat 8 minutes or until sausage crumbles and is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomatoes, next 8 ingredients, and 10 cups water; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 20 minutes or until carrots are crisp-tender.
Cook tortellini according to package directions; drain. Stir into soup just before serving. Serve with Parmesan cheese.
*1 lb. turkey Italian sausage may be substituted.
Make this soup ahead of time and freeze it until you're ready for it. Prepare this soup through Step 1 to freeze. Don't cook and add the tortellini until you've reheated the soup.