- 1 pound smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 medium-size yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups leftover sweet potato casserole (without marshmallow topping)
- 1 medium-size red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 (5-oz.) package baby kale leaves or spinach
- Multigrain crackers
How to Make It
Cook sausage in a Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 7 to 8 minutes or until browned. Remove sausage from Dutch oven, using a slotted spoon. Reserve 2 Tbsp. drippings in Dutch oven.
Sauté onion in hot drippings in Dutch oven over medium-high heat 5 to 6 minutes or until tender. Add garlic, and sauté 2 minutes. Add broth, next 3 ingredients, and cooked sausage; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 20 minutes.
Add kale, and simmer 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with crackers.