Sausage Stuffed Red Onions
From Martha Stewart
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 8 Small to Medium Red Onions
- Coarse Salt
- 2 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter
- 8 ounce(s) sweet Italian sausage
- 1/3 cup(s) Tart green apple (Granny Smith) Grated
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) Fennel Seeds
- 1/2 cup(s) plain dried bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon(s) flat-leaf parsley Finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon(s) fresh Sage finely chopped
- 3/4 cup(s) Gruyere Cheese Grated
- 1. Preheat oven to 400. Slice off tops and botomms of onions, leaving at least a 2-inch diameter exposed at the top. Scoop out the inisde of each onion (about half way down) using a melon baller or a spoon. Season insides with salt.
- Transfer onions to a baking dish and cover with barchment, then foil Bake until just starting to soften, about 1 hour.
- 2. Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Crumble sausage into skillet and cook, stirring, until almost cooked through, about 3 minutes. Add apple and fennel seeds, and cook until sausage is no longer pink. About 2 minutes.
- 3. Drain sausage mixture, reserving jusices in a medium bowl. Finely chop sausage mixture, and add to bowl. Stir in breadcrumbs, parsely, sage, and 1/4 cup Gruyere. Let cool.
- 4. Fill onions with stuffing (about 3 Tbsp each), then top with remaining 1/2 cup Gruyere. Baike until tops are crips and brown, about 20 minutes.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by jreinke and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note