I know risottos involve a lot of stirring. I tried get it all done before my husband got home with toddler in tow, but alas, I did not. Not a recipe to make with a toddler hanging screaming off your leg! It was tasty (left out the mushrooms because we don't like them), but probably won't make the regular rotation until my kid is older and less needy.
Sausage and Spinach Risotto
Photo: Johnny Autry; Styling: Leigh Ann Ross
More From Cooking Light
Total: 44 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 331
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 15.9g
- Carbohydrate: 46.5g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Cholesterol: 15mg
- Iron: 2.3mg
- Sodium: 768mg
- Calcium: 153mg
- 3 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
- 5 ounces sweet Italian sausage, casings removed (about 2 links)
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup uncooked Arborio rice
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 (6-ounce) package baby spinach
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shaved fresh Romano cheese
- 1. Bring broth and 1 cup water to a simmer in a small saucepan (do not boil); keep warm over low heat.
- 2. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add salt and mushrooms to pan; cook for 8 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Remove mushrooms from pan, and set aside.
- 3. Add sausage to pan, and cook for 3 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Add shallots and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium. Add rice; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in wine, and cook until liquid is nearly absorbed, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.
- 4. Stir in 1 cup broth mixture; cook for 2 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add remaining broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth mixture is absorbed before adding the next (about 30 minutes total). Remove pan from heat. Add mushrooms and spinach; stir until spinach wilts. Top evenly with cheese. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note