Very enjoyable. I used spicy turkey sausage. I'd make this again when I have ample time to spend on dinner.
Sausage and Spinach Risotto
Photo: Johnny Autry; Styling: Leigh Ann Ross
More From Cooking Light
Total: 44 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 331
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 15.9g
- Carbohydrate: 46.5g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Cholesterol: 15mg
- Iron: 2.3mg
- Sodium: 768mg
- Calcium: 153mg
- 3 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
- 5 ounces sweet Italian sausage, casings removed (about 2 links)
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup uncooked Arborio rice
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 (6-ounce) package baby spinach
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shaved fresh Romano cheese
- 1. Bring broth and 1 cup water to a simmer in a small saucepan (do not boil); keep warm over low heat.
- 2. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add salt and mushrooms to pan; cook for 8 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Remove mushrooms from pan, and set aside.
- 3. Add sausage to pan, and cook for 3 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Add shallots and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium. Add rice; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in wine, and cook until liquid is nearly absorbed, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.
- 4. Stir in 1 cup broth mixture; cook for 2 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add remaining broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth mixture is absorbed before adding the next (about 30 minutes total). Remove pan from heat. Add mushrooms and spinach; stir until spinach wilts. Top evenly with cheese. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This