- 1 (16-ounce) French bread baguette, torn into 1-inch pieces
- 2 pounds ground mild Italian sausage
- 3 shallots, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 (3.66-ounce) tin smoked mussels, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 400°. Arrange bread pieces in a single layer on 2 baking sheets; bake about 10 minutes or until bread is toasted but not browned. Transfer to an extra-large bowl.
Meanwhile, cook sausage in a skillet over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, 10 minutes or until sausage crumbles and is no longer pink. Add sausage to bowl with toasted bread pieces using a slotted spoon. Reserve drippings in skillet.
Cook shallots and next 2 ingredients in hot drippings over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, 6 to 8 minutes or until tender. Stir in mussels and next 4 ingredients. Spoon mixture into sausage mixture, tossing until all ingredients are well blended. Add broth and eggs, stirring until well blended. Transfer mixture to a lightly greased 3-quart baking dish; top evenly with butter pieces. Cover with aluminum foil.
Bake 30 minutes; uncover and bake 10 more minutes or until golden brown.