I followed the directions exactly, with one exception, I had to use mild Italian turkey sausage, because my spouse is unable to eat hot sausage. This change gave me a rather bland recipe, and I would not recommend my substitution. I had to toss a healthy dose of red pepper flakes on my portion, but it was still not very tasty.
Sausage and Roasted Pepper Pasta
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 430
- Fat: 11.5g
- Saturated fat: 3.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 28.9g
- Carbohydrate: 52.4g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Cholesterol: 79mg
- Iron: 4.4mg
- Sodium: 894mg
- Calcium: 79mg
- 4 medium bell peppers (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 8 ounces uncooked penne pasta
- 12 ounces hot turkey Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1. Preheat broiler.
- 2. Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil 10 minutes or until thoroughly blackened. Place bell peppers in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 15 minutes. Peel; discard skins. Chop and set aside.
- 3. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid; keep warm.
- 4. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Remove casings from sausage. Add sausage to pan, and cook 8 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Add bell peppers to pan. Move sausage mixture to outside edges of pan, leaving an open space in center. Add tomato paste to open space in pan; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir tomato paste into sausage mixture. Stir in pasta and reserved cooking liquid; cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Stir in black pepper and salt. Sprinkle with cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes