- 1/2 cup uncooked instant brown rice
- 4 small green bell peppers
- Cooking spray
- 6 ounces 50%-less-fat bulk pork breakfast sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) finely shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
- calories 274
- fat 11.8 g
- satfat 4.9 g
- protein 13.8 g
- carbohydrate 28.2 g
- cholesterol 40 mg
- iron 1.8 mg
- sodium 725 mg
- caloriesfromfat 39 %
- fiber 2.8 g
- calcium 129 mg
How to Make It
Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
. Cut tops off bell peppers; discard tops, seeds, and membranes. Place peppers, cut sides down, in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray; cover with plastic wrap. Microwave at HIGH 3 minutes or until peppers are crisp-tender.
. Cook sausage and onion in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until browned, stirring to crumble sausage. Add cooked rice, parsley, and next 6 ingredients.
. Preheat oven to 350°.
. Turn peppers over, and spoon about 1/2 cup sausage mixture into each pepper; sprinkle with cheese.
. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until cheese melts and rice mixture is thoroughly heated.