This was delicious! I used wine instead of the water in the meat sauce. Also used pork sweet Italian sausage rather than turkey. Would definitely make this one again. Leftovers were just as good.
Sausage Ragù over Creamy Polenta
Turkey sausage and bottled marinara combine for a healthy, quick, and affordable twist on this Italian classic. Serve with a romaine salad tossed with red wine vinegar and olive oil.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 50 Minutes
- Calories: 357
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 4.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Protein: 17.2g
- Carbohydrate: 50.8g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Cholesterol: 65mg
- Iron: 1.1mg
- Sodium: 712mg
- Calcium: 137mg
- 3 (4-ounce) links sweet turkey Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups lower-sodium marinara sauce (such as McCutcheon's)
- 2 1/3 cups water, divided
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup instant polenta
- 1 ounce fresh pecorino Romano cheese, grated
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage; sauté for 6 minutes, stirring to crumble. Remove sausage from pan; drain. Wipe pan clean; return to medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl. Add onion, and sauté 4 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Stir in sausage, marinara, and 1/3 cup water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 20 minutes.
- 2. Bring remaining 2 cups water and milk to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat; reduce heat to low. Gradually add polenta, and cook for 3 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in cheese and pepper. Serve with sausage mixture; top with parsley.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note