Very good! My only complaint is that it needed salt (probably the point of the recipe, but if you're not watching sodium, I would add a tsp to the sauce). The polenta turned out creamy and delicious, even without a ton of butter like you usually see it. The ragu was overall good, and went with the polenta nicely. You could put it over pasta, too, I'm sure. I grated some extra cheese to sprinkle over top, which was a nice touch. Overall, a solid recipe I'll make again.
Sausage Ragù over Creamy Polenta
Turkey sausage and bottled marinara combine for a healthy, quick, and affordable twist on this Italian classic. Serve with a romaine salad tossed with red wine vinegar and olive oil.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 50 Minutes
- Calories: 357
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 4.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Protein: 17.2g
- Carbohydrate: 50.8g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Cholesterol: 65mg
- Iron: 1.1mg
- Sodium: 712mg
- Calcium: 137mg
- 3 (4-ounce) links sweet turkey Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups lower-sodium marinara sauce (such as McCutcheon's)
- 2 1/3 cups water, divided
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup instant polenta
- 1 ounce fresh pecorino Romano cheese, grated
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage; sauté for 6 minutes, stirring to crumble. Remove sausage from pan; drain. Wipe pan clean; return to medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl. Add onion, and sauté 4 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Stir in sausage, marinara, and 1/3 cup water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 20 minutes.
- 2. Bring remaining 2 cups water and milk to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat; reduce heat to low. Gradually add polenta, and cook for 3 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in cheese and pepper. Serve with sausage mixture; top with parsley.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note