Delicious! I used hot turkey sausage instead of sweet and Pillsbury pizza dough instead of homemade, so it wasn't exact, but it was still great!
Sausage Pizza (Pizza alla Salsiccia)
The combination of Italian sausage, fennel, and red onion combines pleasant spicy heat with intriguing anise flavor for a complex-tasting pizza.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 123
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Fat: 3.4g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 6.4g
- Carbohydrate: 16.7g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Cholesterol: 15mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 365mg
- Calcium: 43mg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 (4-ounce) link sweet turkey Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup vertically sliced fennel bulb
- 1/2 cup thinly vertically sliced red onion (about 1 small onion)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2/3 cup chopped seeded tomato (about 2 tomatoes)
- 1 (10-inch) Basic Pizza Dough
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1. Position an oven rack in lowest setting. Place a pizza stone on lowest rack.
- 2. Preheat oven to 500°. Preheat pizza stone 30 minutes before baking pizza.
- 3. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pepper to pan; cook 10 seconds. Remove casings from sausage. Add sausage, fennel, and onion to pan; sauté 4 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble sausage. Stir in salt. Add tomato; sauté 2 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat.
- 4. Spread sausage mixture over Basic Pizza Dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Slide dough onto preheated pizza stone, using a spatula as a guide.
- 5. Bake at 500° for 8 minutes or until crust is golden. Remove from pizza stone. Sprinkle with cheese. Cut pizza into 8 wedges.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note