The combination of Italian sausage, fennel, and red onion combines pleasant spicy heat with intriguing anise flavor for a complex-tasting pizza.
8 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)
1. Position an oven rack in lowest setting. Place a pizza stone on lowest rack.
2. Preheat oven to 500°. Preheat pizza stone 30 minutes before baking pizza.
3. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pepper to pan; cook 10 seconds. Remove casings from sausage. Add sausage, fennel, and onion to pan; sauté 4 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble sausage. Stir in salt. Add tomato; sauté 2 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat.
4. Spread sausage mixture over Basic Pizza Dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Slide dough onto preheated pizza stone, using a spatula as a guide.
5. Bake at 500° for 8 minutes or until crust is golden. Remove from pizza stone. Sprinkle with cheese. Cut pizza into 8 wedges.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.