This is really delicious, and so easy. My only changes were to include a pepper that's on the hot side, some fresh mushrooms, and to use a plain tomato sauce enhanced with my own fresh basil and oregano. Otherwise, made to recipe. Serving size is ample; my husband usually eats two CL servings but he was satisfied with one, and I found it very filling. All we needed as a side dish was a small salad with a light vinaigrette.
Sausage and Peppers
Photography: Becky-Stayner: Styling: Jan Gautro
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 483
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 13.9g
- Saturated fat: 4.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.7g
- Protein: 33g
- Carbohydrate: 55.7g
- Fiber: 5g
- Cholesterol: 102mg
- Iron: 3.4mg
- Sodium: 1150mg
- Calcium: 158mg
- Cooking spray
- 6 (4-ounce) links turkey Italian sausage
- 2 cups (1/4-inch strips) green bell pepper
- 1 cup (1/4-inch strips) red bell pepper
- 1 cup (1/4-inch strips) yellow bell pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 (26-ounce) bottle fat-free pasta sauce (such as Healthy Choice)
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 6 cups hot cooked penne (about 3/4 pound uncooked tube-shaped pasta)
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add sausage to pan; cook 8 minutes or until lightly browned, turning occasionally. Remove from pan; cool slightly. Cut sausage into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- Wipe pan with paper towels; recoat with cooking spray. Place pan over medium-high heat. Add peppers; sauté 6 minutes. Add sausage; sauté 2 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Add sauce; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Add mozzarella, stirring until melted. Place 1 cup pasta in each of 6 shallow bowls; spoon about 1 cup sausage mixture over each serving. Sprinkle each serving with 1 teaspoon Parmesan.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This