Taste was good but the texture of the sausage was a little weird. Sauce was watery. I'll go back to grilling my sausage and peppers.
Sausage and Pepper Sandwiches
More From Allyou
Amount per serving
- Calories: 510
- Fat: 25g
- Saturated fat: 7g
- Protein: 29g
- Carbohydrate: 41g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 92mg
- Sodium: 722mg
- The stew:
- 3 medium bell peppers, trimmed and sliced into thick strips
- 2 Spanish onions or extra-large sweet onions, such as Vidalia, sliced
- 2 pounds fresh chicken sausage
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes with roasted garlic
- 1 (8 oz.) can plain tomato sauce
- The sandwiches:
- 1 (1 lb.) loaf semolina Italian bread, cut in 16 diagonal slices
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 to 2 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, for serving
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded Parmesan cheese, for serving
- Place pepper strips and onion in bottom of slow-cooker. Arrange chicken sausage on top and then pour diced tomatoes and tomato sauce on top. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Transfer warm sausage to a board and slice into 1/4-inch strips. Return sausage to pot and stir to mix; keep warm.
- Brush a grill pan with oil and place over medium heat. Brush bread slices on both sides with olive oil, then toast in batches, turning, until crisp and golden. Rub each slice lightly with garlic.
- Place 1 slice of toast on each plate. Spoon sausage mixture on top and sprinkle with basil and cheese. Top with second slice of toast.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes