This will be my 3rd year making this stuffing. Everyone loves it. Use the turkey stock I make for CL recipe Make-Ahead Gravy. Like other reviewer do some the day before then throw together Thursday morning.
Sausage and Mushroom Stuffing
If you're cooking this and Mashed Honey-Roasted Sweet Potatoes at the same time, it will take a bit longer for the stuffing to cook - about 25 minutes covered and 20 minutes uncovered.
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 187
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 5.9g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Protein: 12.4g
- Carbohydrate: 21.6g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Cholesterol: 38mg
- Iron: 2.5mg
- Sodium: 460mg
- Calcium: 52mg
- 5 cups (1-inch) cubed white bread (about 7 (1-ounce) slices)
- 5 cups (1-inch) cubed whole wheat bread (about 7 (1-ounce) slices)
- 1 pound turkey Italian sausage
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 3 cups finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped celery
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms (about 2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 cups Homemade Turkey Stock
- Preheat oven to 250°.
- Place bread in a single layer on 2 baking sheets. Bake at 250° for 1 hour or until dry. Set aside.
- Remove casings from sausage. Cook the sausage in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Place sausage in a large bowl.
- Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and mushrooms; cover and cook 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in thyme and the next 4 ingredients (thyme through pepper). Add the onion mixture, bread, and parsley to sausage; toss gently to combine. Add Homemade Turkey Stock, and stir until moist.
- Increase oven temperature to 350°.
- Spoon the bread mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 20 minutes or until top is crusty.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note