This will be my 3rd year making this stuffing. Everyone loves it. Use the turkey stock I make for CL recipe Make-Ahead Gravy. Like other reviewer do some the day before then throw together Thursday morning.
Sausage and Mushroom Stuffing
If you're cooking this and Mashed Honey-Roasted Sweet Potatoes at the same time, it will take a bit longer for the stuffing to cook - about 25 minutes covered and 20 minutes uncovered.
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 187
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 5.9g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Protein: 12.4g
- Carbohydrate: 21.6g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Cholesterol: 38mg
- Iron: 2.5mg
- Sodium: 460mg
- Calcium: 52mg
- 5 cups (1-inch) cubed white bread (about 7 (1-ounce) slices)
- 5 cups (1-inch) cubed whole wheat bread (about 7 (1-ounce) slices)
- 1 pound turkey Italian sausage
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 3 cups finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped celery
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms (about 2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 cups Homemade Turkey Stock
- Preheat oven to 250°.
- Place bread in a single layer on 2 baking sheets. Bake at 250° for 1 hour or until dry. Set aside.
- Remove casings from sausage. Cook the sausage in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Place sausage in a large bowl.
- Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and mushrooms; cover and cook 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in thyme and the next 4 ingredients (thyme through pepper). Add the onion mixture, bread, and parsley to sausage; toss gently to combine. Add Homemade Turkey Stock, and stir until moist.
- Increase oven temperature to 350°.
- Spoon the bread mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 20 minutes or until top is crusty.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This